Sunday, June 26, 2011

you've got to make a mess before you can clean it up.

Yesterday I was reminded of something silly I used to do as a kid.

When I was instructed to clean my room, I usually had a difficult time doing so. Not because I didn't like to clean, but because I would look at my room in all its atrocity and decide that instead of straightening it up or burying everything in the closet (as would a normal child), I would "deep clean" the place.

The whole process would begin with me throwing everything out of my closet and into the middle of the room. I would then proceed to dump out all of my dresser drawers, leaving their contents strewn across the small amount of real estate my floor afforded.

Usually I would end up with a giant mess that took me weeks, if not months to sort through. You see, I would start with the aspirations of getting rid of a few things here and there and organizing what I wanted to keep. But, because I was such a pack rat, I would instead look through every item I owned with nostalgia, unable to detach from it and give it a better home in landfill, USA.

I guess I'm pretty much the same person I was back then, because last night, this is what my living room looked like:

I decided to be productive and finally start cleaning out my shed. Brett's uncle is going to be moving in with us in a couple weeks, so I realized that I couldn't leisurely pull out and go through one or two boxes a week. Nope, instead I pulled out ALL the contents of the fricking thing, and they are now taking over my living room! I guess that will really give me an incentive to go through all this crap, and FAST.

Even thought I was EXHAUSTED from just having spent 3 hours at Walmart, 30 minutes hauling all my groceries up our three flights of stairs, and close to 2 hours hauling nearly all of these boxes you see up the same amount of stairs, I still managed to go through one box and get rid of the majority of its contents!

Hooray for getting a great head start on one of my major summer bucket list items!

P.S. The following items are all ones I am trying to sell in attempt to de-clutter my house. If you or anyone you know would like them, please see the links below to find out more details including how to contact me for them! (Please, please, please!)


 And again.
 And again.
 And again.
And finally, click here  for the final one.

No comments:

Post a Comment