Monday, March 1, 2010

Awaiting the Almighty Landlord

So, a couple hours ago I got a call from my landlord...

"I haven't got a check from you, yet... I'm on my way to the complex for 'some other business,' could I stop by and get your rent payment?"

CRAAAAAP.

What with all the craziness going on in my life, I have done everything but pay my rent. Luckily she called me, or I would have honestly forgotten. How silly is that? So, while I'm sitting here waiting for her to show up, I am procrastinating other homework and refraining from doing all the things I need to before the in-laws show up to stay the night which includes:

*taking brett's car to the shop
*grocery shopping (so i can feed the weary travelers!)
*clean my house (this hasn't been done in awhile, so the place is looking a bit scary)
*workout (i need to keep it up so i can earn my massage!!)
*clean howard's tank
*submit brett's scholarship application
*read 5 chapters (ok i'm exaggerating a bit on this one) for tomorrow's classes
*shower and make myself presentable

I have approximately 2 1/2 hours to do all of that, and I have already wasted 2 precious hours today laying in bed watching t.v. because I am just SO tired! Do you think I can all that before they get here? Nah, me neither. So while I'm waiting for old maid to show up, I'll blog.

What possible topic could I get lost in today? How about I rant about the clearance signs on the overpasses every 20 miles or so on the interstate... Have you ever noticed those? Well, I have. This last weekend during my roadtrip to Cedar City and back I actually payed quite a bit of attention to them. I found myself wondering this: The clearance sign says 9', but what happens when randomly, a foreign trucker (or someone with a REALLY tall trailer or something) is cruising down the-15 and comes upon one of these overpasses and realizes that his cargo is 10' tall?

I mean, this probably would never happen in a million years, but what if it did?? He would be freaking screwed! He would have to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the bridge (which I'm betting might happen anyway because most truck drivers are crazy and oblivious and I'm sure this guy would be too if he was driving a too-tall truck). Because of the number of Utahns who think it is ok to tailgate, I'm sure the dude would have like 10 cars crash into the back of him within 3 minutes. Because most of these little bridges are out in the middle of NOWHERE, there would be no way for the diesel to take a nearby offramp and find an alternate route; This leaves him with quite a predicament. I mean, what else can he do but flip a U-ey? (wow, I have no idea how to spell that) Think of the ensuing disaster that would likely occur if he attempted such a feat... Wow. All that because his truck is a foot too tall... Do you think this has ever happened? I am sure it hasn't, but when you think about it, it's kind of funny to picture.

Or maybe just to me.

Well, the rent nazi finally came to pick up her check so I'll get back to the rest of my errands. 2 hours and counting.... Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment