Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Never-Ending To-Do List

Because I just spent two hours reading about women who kill their children (this was required for a class, I promise, I'm not completely psycho), I feel like keeping it light and simple today.

Just when I thought my stress level would finally diminish because almost all of my grad school applications are signed, sealed and delivered, I realized that never will I find myself that lucky. Today I have felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of things on my current to-do list, so I figure I would spare you (and me) the details of that list. However, because I am so good at making lists, I thought I would take a minute to think about the big and not-so-big things I hope to accomplish this summer before I submit myself to another grueling two years of academics. So, here goes:

1. Vacation!
It has been so long since I have actually spent some serious FUN time! Sure, me and Brett used to play around at Zion and Vegas all the time, but our adventures were like Nancy Drew books. Youthful and exciting, but usually done by the end of the day. No, I want the real deal. A week long cruise, a trip to sandals maybe. It must be somewhere tropical and VERY warm. And it must require round trip airfare. I have been craving an airplane ride like you wouldn't believe! I want to enjoy that stroll through the airport, looking through books at the little shops and buying the most recent addition John Grisham has made to the world of courtroom (or law office) fiction. Yes, some serious vacationing this summer is a MUST.

2. Upload the rest of my CD collection on my laptop
Yeah, this one is pretty stupid, but oh-so-necessary. I have an annoying cardboard box at my bedside that has been there since I moved into this place... Because most of my old cds are mixes I made myself back in my hardcore downloading days, ITunes does not recognize them, so it takes me like an hour search the song titles so I can burn each one onto my painfully slow laptop. It won't be fun, but it sure needs to be done! (Haha. That rhymed!)

3. Spring cleaning
Because of our ridiculously busy lives, Brett and I don't have much time for cleaning. Well, sincere cleaning, I should say. Most of the time I will not tolerate a messy house; everything needs to be tidy before I start my homework or go to bed or I just cannot focus! Yes, sadly I am one of those freakishly anal people. However, I haven't had time to really get down and scrub the place, and it is beginning to look worse and worse by the day. The end of May we will either be preparing for a move-out or a lease-renewal, so either way, I am left with a mission: to make the place sparkle!

4. Catch up on my recreational reading
One thing I hate about school is the fact that I never have time to read anything I want! Half of my life used to be spent getting lost in the words of amazing authors, but college has deprived me of this, and summer is the only time I get to kick back and truly unwind to a good read. The tops on this summer's reading list: Identical by Ellen Hopkins, The Associate and Ford County Stories by John Grisham, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, and Being Sixteen by Allyson Condie.

5. Plan movie/game nights once a week with family/friends
One thing that we haven't done since moving into our house, is throw a house party! Sure, Brett and I have had a few guests over, but nothing too exciting. We use our busy lives as an excuse (a sincere one, but still...) to socially isolate ourselves, but I am going crazy from the lack of interaction with other adults! Dealing with irritable, hormonal teens, and fidgety five year olds most of the week leaves me less than satisfied, and I am ready for some intelligent conversation and fun.

6. Watch all the seasons of Roseanne
Brett was kind enough to buy me 2 seasons for Christmas, and his mom and dad gave us another two. Though we watch it almost every night on TV Land or Nick at Nite, I would love to sit down and watch it from the beginning. And to think, I used to hate the madly, hilarious woman... What was I thinking?!

7. Work on my book
I decided just over a year ago that I need to write a book. I have always enjoyed writing and once dreamed about being an author, but life has led me in so many different directions. However, after reading some freaking great books and getting to know some amazing, wonderful people, I have been inspired to put my life to work and go back and write the the novel that I dreamed of writing as a teen. I have thought of so many ways to put the dang thing together, but every time I start writing I get stuck. Hopefully with summer days wide open, I can finally get somewhere.

8. Finish my France scrapbook
I have been working on this thing far to long and I just need to finish it. With the rate I have been going with it, I will make it back to France before I even finish the dang thing!

9. Clean out my closet
Isn't it kind of crazy how many clothes girls have? I really don't have all that many, but after moving in with Brett, I realized just how many clothes I still have that don't even fit/look good anymore. As much as I would love to think that some of them might be nice to have when I "get back in shape," it will never happen, so it's time to let go!

Last but not least....
10. Work on earning my Americorps service hours
I hope to do this in as many ways as possible. I don't want to be stuck in one boring place like I seem to have done in the past. I hope to find as many cool non-profit orgs around here so I can meet lots of people while I try to make a difference.

Whew! Well, now that I got that all out, I better get back to accomplishing the things on this week's to-do list.

In the words of Tigger, "TTFN-Ta ta for now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment